Saturday, August 23, 2008

Searching for Gnomes







My dad walked outside with me today and saw a chipmunk skittering across the sidewalk towards our house. "Get!" he yelled, "You goofy little buggers!" I found it completely amusing since his threat sounded more like a cute observation. I know that my dad sensors for me, in fact I have only heard him swear once, but it is always funny to hear his swear-alternatives. Words like "fink," "varmint," "doofkas," "portoguyan" will be muttered or yelled, depending on the situation, to show his amusement or frustration. None of these "words" really mean anything, but in context you get the picture. Bailey, our little Scottie, heard my dad's exclamation and took it as a personal mission. The next time we let him out he went running happily across the yard to find a "goofy bugger." We saw him rolling around happily on the lawn in complete joy, and then realized he had captured one of the little critters. My dad was proud, my mom just didn't want to see it and I was horrified. I have a terrible reaction to any kind of pain in a living creature. So, it was one of those events that are so common in life - mixed up and ambiguous. Was this funny? Was it tragic? Does it mean anything at all?


The pictures of Gloria were taken in my mom's new gnome garden. Gloria was content to search for gnomes for quite some time, and then asked me, "Where is Snow White?" These are the moments when I know that she is my daughter.

No comments: