Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Once Upon A Time . . .


Today I got to see my friend from back in Toronto, Jaci, for the first time in four years! When I lived in Toronto I just about lost my mind, and thanks to Jaci I made it through. Canada has a different Thanksgiving than the US, so we did not get a break from school to go home for the US Thanksgiving. Jaci came over to my tiny "elf" apartment and we made cornish game hens, mashed potatos, corn and pumpkin pie. We sat and cried and talked about our families. She was also married and her husband was also staying in the states to work, so we bonded over that. We only had one class together, St. Augustine, and we would walk around afterwards just talking. I don't think I could have made it through everything without her. She did get to meet Kevin on two seperate occasions there, so she remembered the light of his smile and the warmth of his personality. She agreed that Gloria seems to have that same effervesence. Jaci's sister has a condo in Chicago, which she is selling, along with a car. Jaci flew in with her niece to pick up the car and drive it back to Michigan. So, she made the trek out to Naperville to say a quick hello before leaving. I can't describe how wonderful it was to see her, hug her and hear her voice. So, it was a good day after so many really bad days.

No comments: