Tuesday, August 16, 2011

New Job!

Ray has been working for two weeks now at his new job and is loving it.  There is a difference in the way he walks, the ease of his smile, and the way he simply is.  I can tell a weight is lifted.  My main concern was that he would end up in a horrible job that he hated, but never walk away because he doesn't want to not be working.  The good news is that not only is this a company that is big enough and healthy enough to supply opportunity for Ray to advance, but they are also good enough to already recognize his talent and work ethic from the beginning.  He deserves so many good things and has lived a long life just surviving.  He told me he has received more positive feedback in two weeks at this job than he did in over 9 years at Mailbox Works.  When he told me that, he lifted the weight off of my shoulders as well.
As for me, I am getting ready for my first trip back to Illinois.  I am mostly looking forward to the visit, because I am itching to see family and friends, to eat a Portillo's hot dog, to wander through Costco, and to take the train into the city.  We are going to be there the first week of September, arguably the most beautiful month to be in Illinois.  My anxiety about the trip comes from the fact that Ray won't be with us, and when I come home Gloria will be staying an extra week with her grandparents.  I have never been away from Gloria for more than a night, and even then I was within driving distance of her. 
What helps me with the anxiety is that Gloria has been quite the terror the past few days.  I am fairly certain that she always gets difficult a few weeks before her birthday (starting with her first birthday).  She is not even aware of how close her birthday is, I just think it is a growth spurt thing.  This weekend she threw an old school tantrum, 2 year old style, at the store.  I was surprised by it but not shocked, because with the heat and her missing having Ray around I figured she was just wound up.  Then, Sunday evening she began the tantrum to end all tantrums, which ended with me taking everything out of her room except her bed and her table!  I know, I know! I'm such a mean mommy!  However, she is a strong-willed and intense kid, so I needed her to know I wasn't just blowing smoke.  Just to give you an idea of how much this affected her, when I took most of the stuff out and came back in her room to talk to her she smiled at me calmly and said, "well you can't move my bookshelf because you aren't strong enough."  So, I went ahead and carried all of her books out of her room.  Then, she smiles at me again and says "I still have two toys that you left under my bed."  So, I had her get them and hand them over.  The good part is, she isn't sneaky or a liar, because she'd rather be in my face and defiant.  I am told by parents everywhere that a strong willed child is easier in the long run, because if you instill good values in them they are strong enough to stick to them and pave their own ways.  Here's to hoping!

1 comment:

Jenny Jakubiak Cook said...

You are an amazing mom. :o) Can't wait to see you